VOB to a playable DVD

J. K. Cliburn jcliburn at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 17:00:53 UTC 2005

On 12/6/05, Paul Smith <phhs80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/6/05, Patrick May <patrick at pmmay.sytes.net> wrote:
> > > I have a VOB file to record as a video DVD. I have tried dvdstyler,
> > > qdvdauthor and varsha, but always with no success. With varsha, I do
> > > get a playable DVD, but it does not stop at the end of the disk, when
> > > played with Kaffeine. Could someone please suggest me a different
> > > program to try?
> >
> > Have you tried dvdauthor directly? I think most, if not all of the above are
> > just GUI frontends. You'll need to manually create the XML for dvdauthor as
> > well as the menu(s), if you want them.
> >
> > Is there a setting in Kaffeine that's looping the video? Though you can make a
> > DVD set up to just continually loop.
>
> Thanks, Patrick. Actually, I am not wanting to insert menus, but, even
> so, I am not able to create the XML file for dvdauthor. (Too
> complicated to me!) Kaffeine is not set to continuously loop.

I'm just starting out on the long quest to author some DVDs using
video I shot with a Sony DVDcam. My problem is, I slog through a howto
or a magazine article (Linux Journal has some recent articles on the
topic), then sit back and scratch my head wondering where the hell to
start. I want to do some very basic stuff, but I can't seem to get out
of the starting blocks. Nothing I'm running across is intuitive; it's
like The Gimp in motion.  I guess it's just gonna take me some time to
become acclimated to the lexicon of DVD creation.  I'll keep
digging...

Until then, I'm keenly interested in responses to Paul's request,
because I'd like to do the very same thing he wants.

Jay