Sound from two machines to one set of speakers.

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 8 00:28:36 UTC 2005

From: "Chris Stark" <cstark at hawaii.edu>

> On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 15:46 -0800, jdow wrote:
>> From: "Reg Clemens" <reg at dwf.com>
>> >
>> > I have 4 machines on a KVM.
>> > Two of them can generate useful sound.
>> > Other than two sets of speakers, is there any way to get the sound from
>> > both machines out thru one set of speakers?
>> >
>> > Im questioning if there is any sort of client/server pair to route the
>> > sound data from one machine to the other...
>>
>> If you care how it sounds use a real mixer panel. If you do not care
>> how it sounds you may be able to brute force connect the two outputs
>> together in a Y connector in front of your amplifier, which is probably
>> within the speakers if they are "powered".
>
> It sounds like you already have your KVM, but if you would rather not
> invest in a mixer, you may want to consider getting a KVM with audio.
> They seem pretty common these days.

Chris, I far prefer the mixer I use. As it happens I abuse procmail
heavily here. I've built in some tests for email from my chief customers.
I have procmail "clone" the email message to a "play" command to play
a unique sound for receptions of their email. I want to get that alert
even if I am working on other machines than the email machine. So the
mixer is the only proper way I can put it all together.

(Actually I use a pair of "ROLLS" 10 stereo input/stereo output mixers
in a crazy lashup. I want SOME signals to be mixed in after I go to
the speakers. Otherwise the feedback potential makes the system
unworkable. The mixers cost rather little compared to their benefit
here.)

{^_-}   Joanne