Sendmail/LogWatch reports (may be forged)

Tom Rivers tom at impact-crater.com
Thu Dec 8 00:29:13 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 10:33 -0800, Timothy Alberts wrote:
> Thank you for the response Paul.
>
> I like the idea of blocking an IP range, as I'm already doing that for
> several spammers.  However, when I blocked on IP, they changed IP to
> 200.206.123.10.  I could try and block multiple IP ranges, but it's just
> a moving target I think.  I block one and they move to another.  I don't
> want to have to play that game.
>
> So if sendmail finds that it can't trust the name (DNS fails in some
> manner), is there a way to configure sendmail to REJECT the mail as it
> is coming in based on failed DNS, rather than block IP ranges?

Hi Timothy,

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that you want to ensure
that sendmail never accepts incoming mail from unresolvable domains.  If
that is the case, check out the following section of sendmail.mc:

dnl FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl

If you have this feature disabled, sendmail should reject any mail
coming from a domain that it can't resolve.  Perhaps you simply need to
ensure this feature is disabled.

Tom