Security hole

STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) stymar at lucent.com
Fri Dec 9 14:04:19 UTC 2005

> Dear All
>
> I have noticed that from SLAX liveCD, one has total and free access to
> the home partition of all Linux (Fedora) accounts in the hard-disk of
> the computer. In this way, with a SLAX disk, everyone can spy all
> accounts in the hard-disk. How can this be prevented?

This goes back to the previous discussion on booting from CD.  If you
have physical access to a box, there is no security.  All the bootable
CD's give you root access.  Even if they didn't, if you have access to
the box, you take the drive out and put it in a box where you do have
root access.  If the data really needs to be secured, it has to be
encrypted.  There are military versions of Linux that do that and more
to enhance security.

Bob Styma