alsaconf ?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Dec 10 14:16:53 UTC 2005

Rick wrote:

>> The README that comes with alsa-utils
>> (/usr/share/doc/alsa-utils-1.0.9rf/README)
>> says that it contains
>>         alsaconf - the ALSA driver configurator script
>> but I don't see this anywhere on my disk ?
>
> alsaconf is not distributed in the binary RPMs.  As I recall, it is built
> by the source RPM, then deleted in building the binary RPM.
>
> Fedora's choice is to use system-config-soundcard.  However, there are
> sound
> cards that alsaconf detects, that system-config-soundcard does not.  I
> rebuilt alsa-utils locally to include alsaconf, and was able to configure
> a couple of older systems (Compaq AP400 desktop, Compaq Armada 7800), that
> system-config-soundcard did not handle.
>
> BEWARE: alsaconf does a port probe.  It may hang your system, or worse!!
> Use
> at your risk.  This, I belieave is why Fedora excludes it.  That warning
> in mind, I had absolutely no problem.

Thanks from the OP.
I take it you re-compiled from the source RPM?
Is that necessary?
I got the impression that alsaconf was just a script?
(I've seen some references to alsa-config -
I'm not sure if this is just another name for alsaconf?)

I've found system-config-soundcard completely useless.
If sound is working, it tells you it is working.
If it is not working (ie if you answer No when asked if you hear the sound)
it just exits.

I suspect the sound on my ancient laptop (Sony C1VFK Picturebook)
is broken, eg USB does not work.
But I'll try compiling and running alsaconf as you suggest,
taking note of your warning.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366