How make a DVD-Ram user writable?

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Sun Dec 11 02:16:34 UTC 2005

Hi,

my LG drive  can read/write DVD-RAMs. I could create a file system on
and it will be mounted automatically in /media/cdrecorder.

Unfortunately only root can write to the drive as mounted by HAL rsp.
fstab-sync.

As I understood the doku the configuration is
in /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy (which should not manually be modified by
the administrator) and I may add a local configuration file
in /etc/hal/fdi/policy. But I could not figure out, what to add.

I found a dvdram entry in /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-
storage-policy.fdi and as a test I tried to change it's mount point from
(/media/)cdrecorder to dvd-ram, but without success.

Please, could someone give me a hint?

Any help appreciated

Peter