[OT] Comments: Evolution - Sylpheed Claws

David Cary Hart Fedora at TQMcube.com
Sun Dec 11 17:27:29 UTC 2005

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 14:12:42 -0500
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <m3freak at rogers.com> opined:

> On Wed, 2005-07-12 at 13:39 -0500, David Cary Hart wrote:
> > <rant>Evo has been my mail client since RH9. It has become
> > increasingly ponderous and bloated while usability has diminished.
> > The offering in FC5 will be even worse. For example, you can no
> > longer choose how you want to forward a message (inline, quoted or
> > forward) except by default configuration.
>
> That sounds bad.  What's going to be the default?
>
> > The action set provided by filters remains limited. The
> > toolbar remains uncustomizable and the menus have been re-arranged
> > and reduced. In short, Novell is accomplishing the objective of
> > creating a MS Outlook clone - warts and all.</rant>
>
> If Novell is just making a free version of Outlook, then Evolution is
> headed for the garbage heap.  There are things about Outlook that I
> don't like, but for the most part it's really nice.  I sincerely hope
> it doesn't go to crap.

I was being sarcastic. IMO, Novell is trying to make Evolution into an
Outlook clone. Unfortunately, they are succeeding.

> > The good news is that this has resulted in my changing to Sylpheed
> > Claws (Fedora Extras). Very fast, stable and light, it is incredibly
> > flexible and feature rich.
>
> I didn't see any mention of a Calendar on the Sylpheed-Claws website.
> You spiked my interest, so I installed it anyway.  Sure enough, there
> isn't a calendar, or even a task list.
>
> So, what do you use for the missing bits?

A PHP application on my server. There are TONS of these out there. Just
put it in a password protected directory (I'm benignly paranoid). It's
superior to Evolution and it can email alerts to me. I can then set
Sylpheed to play some noise of my choice.

--
Our DNSRBL -
       Eliminate Spam: http://www.TQMcube.com/spam_trap.php