Security hole

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 11 22:46:32 UTC 2005

--- Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-12-11 at 11:49, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > Paul,
> >    Did you install LVM automatically from within
> > Anaconda?  Because if you did, Slax, Knoppix,
> Kanotix
> > or any other livecd out there can detect the
> > partitions but not access them except the /boot
> > partition where grub resides and you can make
> minor
> > corrections.
>
> Don't think of this as a security improvement
> because
> you can still access the whole system if you boot
> the fedora install CD in rescue mode and it is only
> a matter of time until the other distributions add
> LVM support.

I agree.  We have to be carefull with what we do/load
on our computers.  It is there to help us, but not a
guarantee against disaster.

Some on the slax forum say that one has to modprobe
lvm first and we can see the fedora partitions in
FC3/FC4.  I did not know this because before in FC2 we
did not have lvm and slax could see the partitions and
read/write to them by default.  If we are the ones
using the live cd's it might be okay, but if someone
else with bad intentions goes in, it could be very
dangerous.

Best Regards,

Antonio