mplayer dvd sound grating or absent (xine fine)

Gene Smith gds at chartertn.net
Mon Dec 12 18:30:51 UTC 2005

When I play a particular dvd I get either a loud grating sound with
message about format ao being bad and something about big endian not
supported in AC. Or I get a message that there is just no audio (and get
no sound). This depends on which -ao driver I select. The video always
works fine. However, one time, before I started trying to select audio
drivers (via gui and cmd line), the sound worked correctly.

Mplayer still works ok on other DVDs I have.

I installed xine from dag FC3 x86_64 rpms and it works fine on the dvd.

Any idea what the problem might be.

-gene