amd .vs intel....

Steve Brueckner steve at atc-nycorp.com
Tue Dec 13 16:00:55 UTC 2005

Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 09:39 -0500, Steve Brueckner wrote:
>> I'd love to buy an AMD for the performance, but they appear to be
>> lagging by at least half a year on virtualization support.  Intel's
>> VT-enabled chips are due out in the next couple of months, while
>> AMD's Pacifica-enabled chips aren't due out until late 2006.
>>

> You sure?
> As far as I remember Intel's VT is scheduled to release in Q1/2006.
> AMD's Pacifica is scheduled to be release in H1/2006 (Q1?) on for
> both Opteron (Socket F) and the Athlon64 (Socket M2 / Windsor).
>
> Did AMD's schedule change?
> Gilboa

Well, Anandtech has Pacifica and end of Q2 '06, which is "a little later
than expected" according to Digitimes.  Meanwhile, sample VT chips are
already available.  So there is at least a few months lag, but maybe it
won't be as long as six months.

The other half of the equation is the Xen team.  They have been working with
the VT spec and apparently already have VT support working in Xen 3.0.  I
haven't heard anything similarly promising about Pacifica support at this
point, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

 - Steve