No Sound from FC4 - Clue Needed

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Tue Dec 13 17:41:33 UTC 2005

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 07:45:52PM -0500, tfreeman at intel.digichem.net wrote:
> >
> > Background - My girlfriend's RH9 machine (not on a network) got seriously
> > wacky, not getting through the boot sequence before rebooting, and then
> > not booting at all. Rather than "waste" time with proper trouble shooting,
> > I elected to replace.
> >
> > Problem: I'm not able to get FC4 fresh install to access the sound card
> > hardware. The hardware works, because Knoppix 3.9 finds the sound card and
> > works. Under fedora, I'm not able to play the cd drive (audio cd) nor get
> > the sound config gui to successfully configure the sound card.
> >
> > The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 series, 865PE Motherboard (this
> > from the manual) with a P-42.4 GHz processor and 256MB ram.  Sound is
> > supposedly an integrated Realtech ALC655 AC '97 CODEC chip.
> >
> > Clues and/or actuall solutions happily accepted with thanks.
> >
> I would run alsamixer. Increase the gain (volume) on all of the relevant
> channels (CD for example). Change all the muted channels (MM at the
> bottom) to un-muted (00) by typing m.
>
> If that does not work we can debug further.

Well, running all controls up on alsamixer technically works. Which
admittedly surprised me.

Of course, "works" could be a little misleading. Under Knoppix, the output
to the speakers is loud enough to hear from a distance of 2-3 feet. Not
load, but audible. Under FC4, with everything cranked up, pick the little
speakers up, and place them around your head like head phones to hear the
test tone. None too load either, but technically the software is working
with the hardware, and I can arrainge to use amplified speakers if need
be. Now to investigate further the cd player.

Thanks to all for the bandwidth, and thanks to Aaron for the prod in a
usable direction.

> Aaron Konstam
> Computer Science
> Trinity University