second ethernet

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Wed Dec 14 03:10:15 UTC 2005

Date sent:      	Tue, 13 Dec 2005 20:08:42 -0500
From:           	Jeffrey Ross <jeff at bubble.org>
To:             	fedora-list at redhat.com
Subject:        	second ethernet
Send reply to:  	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
	<mailto:fedora-list-request at redhat.com?subject=subscribe>

> I'm looking to add a second Ethernet interface to my FC3 system.  The
> interface is going to be used strictly as a capture interface for
> ethereal and as such has no need for an IP address..
>
> The questions are:
>
> 1) How do I force the existing Ethernet interface (built onto the
> motherboard), which shows up as a via-rhine to remain as eth0 and the
> new interface which will be an Intel card as eth1
> 2) enable the card without any addressing (IP or otherwise) so the card
> remains silent?
> 3) will this process work for adding multiple additional interfaces, and
> is there a limit to network interfaces besides physical space for cards?

There have already been messages for the first 2, but as far as the
3rd one goes, I can say that I have a machine that as 9 ethernet
ports on it. One 3Com card, and then two 4-port adadptec cards.