GAH! Kernel release 2.6.14-1.1653_FC4 caused me problems!

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Wed Dec 14 18:37:37 UTC 2005

I have everything installed in a single large partition.  Why is it,
that this was not a problem in the previous releases until now?  Why
the requirement that /boot be in it's own partition?  This makes no
real sense to me other than to protect partitions from one another or
for performance concerns but if I choose to put everything in one
partition, why not?  Perhaps you are telling me that pervious releases
just *happened* to work until the /boot files were no longer guaranteed
to be in the lower partition space due to changes and/or kernel updates
that it has creeped outside of the BIOS ability to read files beyond a
certain size limitiation, i.e. the inodes are outside of it's bit-range?

Thanks for responding,
Dan