mail server

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Dec 15 16:22:15 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 15:45, David Cary Hart wrote:
>
>>>Sendmail takes a 1-line change to the stock sendmail.mc file provided
>>>with fedora to make it do what most places would need.   If you are
>>>going to add virus and spam filtering, only sendmail provides the
>>>milter interface to run the scan during the smtp conversation and under
>>>a non-privileged id.
>>>

>>That's incorrect. Postfix does that as postfix.
>

> Doesn't postfix have write access to your mail queue? The milter I run
> under sendmail has it's own workspace but can't write anywhere else
> including the mail queue.  By non-privileged, I didn't just mean
> non-root, I meant a different id than used for anything else.

Postfix does not do milter. It can and does pipe through another process
(eg spamassassin) before doing delivery, but that's after the SMTP dialogue.

Unless I've missed some new development. I was looking at MimeDEFang
(however its capitalised) from Roaring Penguin (home of rp-pppoe) which
does milter and therefore, then, could only be used with sendmail.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait