amd .vs intel....

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Dec 16 04:00:29 UTC 2005

Craig White wrote:

>  On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 20:54 -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
> > Jeff Vian wrote:

> >> Why restrict that action to Microsoft? Piracy costs us all in
> >> some way. FOSS eliminates the temptation for piracy in many ways
> >> but it takes action from those who can identify when piracy is
> >> occurring to stamp it out.
> >>
> >> I think there are many more companies than Microsoft that lose to
> >> piracy... mainly the applications developers.
> >>

> > Some that cry piracy (corporations) stole the concepts and code
> > from other corporations. Piracy has to be defined in different
> > terms before it is of any importance at all. To me, piracy is just
> > a buzzword for those that can legally steal from others, then have
> > all the resources from their acts of stealing from others (money
> > and political clout), then cry about another's actions. Netscape,
> > stacker, Apple, pctools and so many other comanies were put out
> > from one of the best known pirate corporatiions of all, next only
> > to oil and the trilateral commission.
>
>  ---- Originality is the ability to conceal one's sources.
>
>  This is pretty off topic for Fedora list so I am not going to take
>  issue with the above.

Understood.

>  Proprietary software has become reduced to selling the same thing
>  over and over again to the same people.

Most the time, the newer versions seem less featureful and also seem to
impede usability when newer versions are introduced. Fortunately, I
personally left that cliche during RHL 5.2.

Eventually, people will find
>  the usability and the feature set of open source stuff more than
>  suitable, infinitely more configurable and offers greater ownership
>  of software and data.

I see this conversion with open source software that tries to run on all
platforms. The browser, email and office software.

>  Piracy is about corporations defining the terms, acquisition costs
>  and limitations of usage for their products and consumers feeling
>  that the burden of these definitions are excessive.

I still look at piracy as a bunch of ships running around with
completely drunk crews and taking by force what can be resold for
profit, to enrich theirselves. Regarding piracy for something that is
not to be sold to others for money and not actually aquiring that which
the other corporation is acusing the individual that has a clone
product. It was not bought or sold. It may be a situation like Dolly the
sheep or Dolly, the sheep with the exact same makup.

I like the term cloning instead of  "piracy" when referring to software
replication. Just because someone else is using the exact same program,
but not paying for it would not lower or raise the price of the product.
Mandetory compliance means more money, not reduced cost due to conformity.

without getting political, I'll end here.

To make the thread more on topic. I see no difference between the AMD or
Intel for my uses. If I have a computer with either vendors product, I
run the same binaries with similar results and preformance.

Jim

--
"In the fight between you and the world, back the world."
 --Frank Zappa