ntop

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 06:38:46 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 19:00, Claude Jones wrote:
> I've stayed out of this thread because I couldn't remember what I did to
> install NTOP, but I do have it running. Anyone care to offer any observations
> on the question of putting the interfaces into promiscuous mode which NTOP
> says it needs to do - presumably, there are downsides - what are they?

There are the security implications of being able to see data
not meant for your machine and the extra work the machine has
to do to process all the packets.  You'll need to use a
hub or a managed switch capable of monitoring all ports on
the one used by the ntop interface to see all the
traffic, though.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com