can Amanda append to a tape that's not full?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Dec 16 21:01:49 UTC 2005

On Friday 16 December 2005 15:08, Matt Morgan wrote:
>I'm about to do my first Amanda install next week (or so I thought),
>so I pulled out my O'Reilly "Unix Backup and Recovery" book. It's
> from 1999, and refers to Amanda version 2.4.2, but it says "Amanda
> currently starts a new tape for each run and does not provide a
> mechanism to append a new run to the same tape as a previous run
> ...".
>
>So I thought, well, that's probably out of date and I went to check
>the docs at Amanda.org, which appear to have been written for v.
> 2.4.2 as well and not updated (although the version I got through
> yum a couple days ago is 2.4.5).
>
>Can anyone tell me if this is still true? Also, it looks like Bacula
>works the other way--it keeps writing to a tape until it's full
>(although I can't tell yet if that's true over multiple jobs). Can
>anyone confirm that?

Its still true, and its intended to remain that way.  There are too
many chances for someone to remove the tape and reinstert it which
will of course rewind it since I don't know of any spinning head
drives that don't, and the older qic formats would automaticly set the
heads back to track 1 even if they didn't rewind it, which those I've
encountered all did on tape insertion.

The whole point being that amanda has no guaranteed way to assure that
the tape has not been moved since the last invocation.  Thats why it
insists on full control of the tape while its running per invocation.

It probably also explains the relative lack of interest in patching
amanda to allow it to span a file across more than one tape. That
patch is available. The general idea is to not do anything that could
impinge on its dependability.

Writing just one byte to the head end of a tape, and that tapes
contents are gone.  And that to me, demonstrates the one achilles heel
of tape.  I'm now using virtual disks on a 200GB drive and have had
less than .01% of the nearly constant troubles I had with tape drives.
What can I say other than virtual tapes Just Work(TM) here.  And in
the event of needing to recover something, with the vtapes I have
truely random access to the data, a huge advantage IMO.

You can find me on the amanda-users list at amanda.org too.

What you may want to do, if you have a big enough tape drive, is to
setup an equally large holdingdisk area, and leave the tape out of the
drive until enough data is on the holdingdisk that its worthwhile
putting the tape into the drive and calling an amflush, which will
move it all to tape in one session.

--
Cheers, Gene
People having trouble with vz bouncing email to me should use this