Is Redhat/Fedora Losing Interest in KDE?

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 22:41:00 UTC 2005

On 12/16/05, David Cary Hart <Fedora at tqmcube.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 14:25:32 -0600
> Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net> opined:
>

> > I was wondering why Linus' opinion got quoted on a website, as
> > if his opinion mattered any more than anyone else', and why
> > his statements would help anyone make up his own mind any
> > more than some of mine might.
> >
> Come on. Linus' opinion has considerable weight irrespective of the
> fact that this involves a GUI and not the kernel. Moreover, he is a
> disinterested party in the debate.

Mike already addressed this in the same message you lifted the above
quote from.

"I think that the only reason Linus' opinion matters so much is that
he is famous."

He didn't say Linus' opinion doesn't carry weight.  In fact, he said
the opposite.  He said it carries weight because he's famous.  He said
it carries weight solely because he's famous.  That's a true
statement.  If Joe Bob wrote to the GNOME mailing list what Linus
wrote, it would be deleted as trollbait.  But it was sent by Linus
Torvalds, famous guy, so people read it.

Anyway, I think Linus is really awesome for his involvement in Linux,
but he's one of the last people I'd go to for opinions on what
software I should use. Hello, BitKeeper.

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."