Totem for DVD video.

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Dec 16 21:44:50 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 20:28 +0000, Malcolm Candlish wrote:
> gary wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 20:18 +0000, Malcolm Candlish wrote:
> >

> >>Sirs,
> >>Could some one please help with Fedora 4 i386 Totem; to gain video.
> >>Totem will play audio, but nothing else.
> >>
> >>Where can I get info on this please,
> >>or should I use a different application?
> >>
> >>Withs thanks in anticipatiion.
> >>Malcolm Candlish.
> >>

> >Try downloading totem-xine.  --gary
> >

> Gary,
>
> Thank you very very much it now works! Why I wonder, was totem rather
> than totem-xine not used  for the  original  package selection.

Simple, and in one word,  "licensing".

As I understand it, totem-xine includes some formats (most notably mpg)
that cannot be freely distributed in the US because of copyright issues.
The same reason xmms does not have the mp3 codec included with the
version in the distribution.

The RedHat/Fedora team chooses to not include those for protection from
liability.