How to de-hypersensitize the mouse.

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Dec 17 04:14:44 UTC 2005

My new trackball mouse is too sensitive.  It's a bit difficult to aim it at
an average-sized widget.

In Gnome→Preferences→Mouse→Motion the acceleration and sensitivity is
already at their minimum settings, but the mouse is still too jittery.
xorg's README.mouse tells me to put “Option "Resolution" "N" ” into
xorg.conf, but that does not seem to make any difference.  It doesn't look
like x even reads this setting.  xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"

# If the normal CorePointer mouse is not a USB mouse then
# this input device can be used in AlwaysCore mode to let you
# also use USB mice at the same time.
        Identifier  "DevInputMice"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
        Option      "Resolution" "900"
EndSection

Xorg.0.log obediently repeats these settings, except for “Resolution”:

(**) DevInputMice: Device: "/dev/input/mice"
(**) DevInputMice: Protocol: "IMPS/2"
(**) Option "AlwaysCore"
(**) DevInputMice: always reports core events
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(**) Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
(**) DevInputMice: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
(**) DevInputMice: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) DevInputMice: Buttons: 5
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "DevInputMice" (type: MOUSE)

Any other way I can slow this sucker down?