BIND and rndc

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Dec 17 07:35:46 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 23:26 -0300, Gaston wrote:
> Does anybody know of a howto to configure bind with rndc for use with
> zone transfers?
>
> I need to configure 2 fedora servers, and I don't want to duplicate
> the dns records manually on each server.
>
> If you have any help, this will be so much appreciated.

Since you asked for any help, here goes:

You don't have to manually duplicate DNS records, just set up your slave
servers' named.conf file appropriately (as slaves for some domains), and
it'll get the records from the master server (assuming the master server
isn't set to prohibit that - it usually isn't).

I, too, would like to try using rndc for reconfiguration issues.  It
seems like it ought to be able to do such things (e.g. add a new host to
a zone record, without having to restart the server manually, or fire up
some convoluted configuration GUI).  But I can't see a way to do so.
The rndc man file suggests the tool is far from ready.

I read messages from the public lists.