OT: Gmail and reading this list

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sat Dec 17 15:16:07 UTC 2005

Claude Jones wrote:
> If I send an email to the list via my business SMTP server, Fedora-list will
> reject it if I'm subscribed via my gmail account (I'm not, but I've tried
> this)

You can be subscribed twice. Once with your business address, and once
with your gmail address. You turn off delivery for your business
address (using the link at the bottom of each list e-mail).

What this does is let the list software know that it should accept
e-mails from your business address.

You collect e-mails via your gmail account.

Erm -- yes. "Collect" was deliberately "technology-indifferent". I was
assuming that you'd "collect" via POP3. You could also forward it to
your ISP, but why?

> But I want list mail delivered to my business ISP inbox - that's the whole
> point

Erm -- why? It looks like you're using KMail. You should be able to add
two receiving accounts in KMail: one for your business ISP and one for
GMail. You can configure KMail to collect from GMail via POP3, and not
have to worry about your list e-mail filling up your business ISP inbox.

I use Demon for personal stuff and GMail for lists. And the first time
they meet is on my machine.

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | "Land Rover say it is permanent, I say I have a
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | large selection of spanners and a big hammer..."