Mouse pointer in FC3

Ross A. Osborn rosborn61 at comcast.net
Sat Dec 17 16:57:07 UTC 2005

James Wilkinson wrote:

>>My mouse pointer frequently changes to being solid black which then makes
>>it almost invisible on a dark background.  Two application that I know of
>>that make this happen are gvim and mutt.  These both make the cursor
>>disappear
>>

>akonstam at trinity.edu replied:
>

>>I am not sure what the problem is but I can't understand what the
>>mouse pointer has to do with mutt? Can you enlighten me?
>>

>Ross then wrote:
>

>>Mutt is one of the applications that I use that will make the mouse
>>pointer turn solid black.
>>

>It's highly unlikely to be anything to do with mutt. Mutt doesn't have
>anything to do with the mouse: it doesn't understand it in the
>slightest.
>
>What's probably causing the effect is the terminal emulator you're
>using, interacting with your X server.
>
>Since gvim does it as well, I'd be inclined to blame your X server.
>Which X server are you using? Which version of x.org are you using (are
>you up to date)?
>
>James.

I use yum on a regular basis to keep up to date (FC3).  RPM reports the
following:

Name        : xorg-x11                     Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 6.8.2                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 1.FC3.45.2                    Build Date: Fri 23 Sep 2005
02:33:50 AM EDT
Install Date: Sat 24 Sep 2005 12:25:39 AM EDT      Build Host:
bugs.build.redhat.com
Group       : User Interface/X              Source RPM:
xorg-x11-6.8.2-1.FC3.45.2.src.rpm
Size        : 39866418                         License: MIT/X11, and others
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Fri 23 Sep 2005 11:06:35 AM EDT, Key ID
b44269d04f2a6fd2
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
URL         : http://xorg.freedesktop.org

Mutt is running in a gnome-terminal.  I spend a lot of time at the
command line in other
terminal windows without ever seeing this effect.   Mutt of course uses
the terminal in
a much different way than I do when working from bash.

At work, mutt and gvim are 100% effective at causing this.  Other things
seem to cause
it as well but I don't notice until the pointer is against a dark
background so I frequently
don't know exactly when the change occurred.  At home, it happens but
not 100% of
the time.

Ross