FC4: midi problem after upgrading to KDE 3.5?!

Hans-Erik Wannberg hans.erik.wannberg at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 18:55:06 UTC 2005

On 12/17/05, sguazt sguazt <sguazt at hotmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> Creating link /home/foobar/.kde/socket-entropy.
> can't create mcop directory
<snip>

sguatz isn't alone -- aRts Ate My Sound Support, Too!

yum pulled in arts-1.5.0-0.1.fc4 this morning, whereupon all SDL
programs with sound support went belly-up with the message above.

XMMS et al. was fine, though, so my first guess was that aRts doesn't
play nice with SDL_mixer.  This theory seems to fit with sguatz's
issues with timidity++, since SDL_mixer depends on it.

This happened on a pure GNOME box -- KDE is not and has never been
installed on it.  Therefore I suspect that arts-1.5.0-0.1.fc4 itself
is broken, rather than the KDE 3.5 RPMs.

I don't have a clue as how to fix it, though. :(

HEW