nfs mounting

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.com
Sun Dec 18 13:59:18 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-18 at 18:30 +0530, G Rajesh wrote:
> Dear All,
> I am new to networking and I have just two system to connect. They are
> connected to each other and ADSL modem through a network switch. I use
> fedora core 4 at both systems.

> 1. I assigned 192.168.1.10 to one system naming it primary.grajesh.in
> and the another 192.168.1.20 as secondary.grajesh.in. This was done
> using desktop>sytemsettings>network.

Above seems fine.

> 2. I added /home/rajesh/Documents to be exported using
> desktop>sytemsettings>serversettings>nfs.

Check your /etc/exports file to see if it was added.

> 3. I have added the above addresses to /etc/hosts file and
> /etc/hosts.allow file too.

Seems fine.

> 4. I have added 192.168.1.xx:/home/rajesh/Documents /net   nfs rw 0 0 to
> the /etc/fstab file also.

Not sure on the above fstab line, especially the end.

> But when I boot, I get the following error:
> "mount to nfs server '192.168.1.xx' failed: server is down"

Do you have the proper services running on the machines?

Server
1 - service nfs restart
2 - service nfslock restart
3 - service portmap restart (maybe this one first)

Workstation
1 - mkdir /net
2 - service portmap restart

Then try remounting.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"It's only funny until someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious!"