REALLY slow xstart and kde start

Jon D. Slater Jon.Slater at LPBroadband.Net
Mon Dec 19 01:18:48 UTC 2005

Jon D. Slater wrote:

> I just yum-updated to kernel 2.6.14-1.1653_FC4.
>
> Now my xstart time and the time from login to access my kde screen is
> over 15 minutes.
>
> During this time there is extensive "disk thrashing".  (If I don't
> start X, there doesn't appear to be any performance slow down.)
>
> Did something change that I missed?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jon

Okay... I take it back...  I just rebooted using the old
2.6.14-1.1456_FC4 kernel and it also takes 15 minutes to get to my kde
screen (from login/password).

Also, to log-off takes 15 minutes.

Once the log-off has cleared and refreshed the screen (back to the login
screen), the disk-thrashing stops and everything is good again.

When start "top" (during the "thrashing") I never see more that 12% CPU
utilization, so I don't think this has anything to do with swap.

Any ideas what's up?