3C905B - 3c59x

Jeffrey Ross jeff at bubble.org
Mon Dec 19 01:23:10 UTC 2005

I have an older PIII system loaded with Fedora Core 4.  I have been
trying unsuccessfully to enable the ethernet interface as 100Mb Full
duplex and have had no luck at doing so.

What I have done so far:

1) Let autonegotiate run its course, I get 10Mb half duplex
2) run ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full.  still 10Mb half duplex
even though ethtool tells me otherwise
3) set the switch port to 100Mb Full duplex and restart the machine, no
connectivity at all
4) modified the /etc/modprobe.conf file to read the following: alias
eth0 3c59x options=0x204 and ran depmod -ae reloaded but still 10Mb half
duplex.

What I have noticed is after the machine completes its POST I immediate
have a link on the ethernet port at 10meg half duplex.  Attached is the
output from lspci -v

The interface works reliably at 10meg half duplex, suggestions?

thanks, Jeff

00:0e.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado]
(rev 6c)
        Subsystem: 3Com Corporation 3C905C-TX Fast Etherlink for PC
Management NIC
        I/O ports at 1080 [size=128]
        Memory at f4000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128]
        [virtual] Expansion ROM at 20000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2