Strange raid behaviour

Chris Eborn chris.eborn at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 10:57:04 UTC 2005

On 12/15/05, Gilboa Davara <gilboada at netvision.net.il> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 17:07 +0000, Chris Eborn wrote:
> > Does the output from the following  commands seem odd to people?
> >
> > [root at nucoda root]# hdparm -t /dev/md0
> >
> > /dev/md0:
> >  Timing buffered disk reads:  774 MB in  3.01 seconds = 257.52 MB/sec
> > [root at nucoda root]# mount /dev/md0 /array
> > [root at nucoda root]# hdparm -t /dev/md0
> >
> > /dev/md0:
> >  Timing buffered disk reads:  416 MB in  3.00 seconds = 138.55 MB/sec
> > [root at nucoda root]# umount /array
> > [root at nucoda root]# hdparm -t /dev/md0
> >
> > /dev/md0:
> >  Timing buffered disk reads:  776 MB in  3.01 seconds = 257.42 MB/sec
> > [root at nucoda root]#
> >

> > Tha array is made of 10 scsi disks - each of which will read at around
> > 60 MB/sec and all seems fine with the raid
> > device until the fs is mounted and it appears to halve the trasnfer
> > rate! There is no activity in the filesystem. At the moment this
> > is with FC2, though I have tried with FC3 and numerous kernels.
> > Tweaking around with block sizes and thing does change the speed of
> > the raw /dev/md0 -  but the speed always drops when I mount the
> > filesystem. Can anybody explain this behaviour?
> > Maybe I am missing something obvious, but this is baffling me - and
> > what is worse is that it all worked until I upgraded the system. I
> > have tried to go back, even put a new system disk in and started from
> > scratch, but cannot get a decent read speed from the array.
> >
> > Chris
> >

> I'm seeing the same behavior on my 4x36GB MD5 setup.
> Mounted FS: ~105-110MB/s.
> Unmount FS: ~125MB/s.
>
> Can you check the read-ahead settings (blockdev --getra /dev/md0)
> before /and/ after fs mount?
>
> Gilboa
>
> --

Hi Gilboa,

[root at nucoda root]# blockdev --getra /dev/md0
2147483647
[root at nucoda root]# raidstart --all
[root at nucoda root]# mount /dev/md0 /array
[root at nucoda root]# blockdev --getra /dev/md0
1024
[root at nucoda root]#

Also:

[root at nucoda root]# blockdev  --setra 4096  /dev/md0
BLKRASET: Invalid argument
[root at nucoda root]# blockdev  --setra 256  /dev/md0
BLKRASET: Invalid argument
[root at nucoda root]# blockdev  --setra 255  /dev/md0
[root at nucoda root]#

Interesting! I was away on Friday, just back now. I will investigate
this immeadiately.

Thanks for the tip.

Chris