GNOME updates vs. KDE updates

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Dec 19 14:57:44 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-18 at 20:04 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:

> GNOME on the other hand, is a huge mess to upgrade, even when using
> garnom.
> Last time I counted, GNOME had around of 120 (!!!) packages, with weird
> cross-dependencies between them. It's far from being the same task.
> (Last time I tried using it, back in FC2 days, I ended up with a dead
> system on my hands.)

gnome isn't *that* difficult - I've done it in LFS several times.
You do want to use a clean environment (such as mock) to make it easier
if you already have an existing gnome installed - to prevent linking
against libraries you are going to replace.

KDE may have a cleaner build system for the platform, though - but gnome
isn't that difficult to get right.