Maxmimum RAM for FC3

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 19:26:53 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 10:29, Dave Jones wrote:
>  > >
>  > > Except with PAE (Physical Address Extensions), the CPU is effectively
>  > > 36 bit.  Giving a theoretical address range of 64GB.  In practice
>  > > however, once you go past 4GB, your low memory region (0->896MB)
>  > > becomes filled very quickly with structures that _have_ to live
>  > > in that range, and all sorts of problems can occur (typically page
>  > > allocation failures, oom-kills).
>  >
>  > Could this cause a problem with VMware on a machine with exactly
>  > 4 gigs?  I have one box where vmplayer will not run a windows
>  > 2k or xp virtual machines (hangs about 3/4th's of the way through
>  > booting), but some similar boxes with less ram work fine.
>
> No idea, I don't use vmware :-/

Try it - you'll like it with the free vmplayer. If you want
something to get some test exposure you can build a virtual
machine already configured that anyone can download and
run without having to worry about repartitioning or setting
up multi-boot configurations.  The 'browser appliance' virtual
machine available with the player is actually a basic Ubuntu
install but you can 'apt-get' anything else you want into
it.

> But a hang sounds like something completely different.

It's the virtual machine that hangs, and only ones running
windows.  The odd thing is that I have similar but not
quite identical machines where it works fine but the one
I'd really like to use has the problem.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com