SELinux is screwing me up!!!! Help!

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 19 21:35:08 UTC 2005

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Hmmm... what does `needs_recovery' mean??? I got:
>
> tune2fs 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
> Filesystem volume name:   /
> Last mounted on:          <not available>
> Filesystem UUID:          888b6827-2441-4270-90b6-b4b3e1f89765
> Filesystem magic number:  0xEF53
> Filesystem revision #:    1 (dynamic)
> Filesystem features:      has_journal ext_attr resize_inode filetype needs_recovery sparse_super large_file

I bet you booted from that volume, didn't you?

So you're looking at a live, mounted filesystem. If your power was to go
out (and you didn't have a UPS), or the machine was to crash, or
something like that happened, Linux wouldn't be able to shut down
cleanly. Then when the system rebooted, Linux would find the filesystem
in exactly that state. And it would "need recovery": being ext3, this
would consist of rolling forward (or rolling back) the transaction log.

Normally that flag is cleared at unmount and set at mount.

You've got ext_attr set, so it looks as though filesystem features were
a red herring.

The sigmonster's developing intelligence again...

James.

--
E-mail address: james | For every complex problem, there is a solution
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | that is simple, neat, and wrong.