3C905B - 3c59x

Jeffrey Ross jeff at bubble.org
Mon Dec 19 21:51:35 UTC 2005

My mistake on the subject line, the card is physically marked as a
3c905C, the system is treating it as a 3c59x which I believe is correct
after reading through the docs regarding the driver.

There were some comments about possibly the ethernet port being bad.  I
dropped an Intel Pro 100 card in the machine, used the same port, same
cable and it came up as 100 full.  Also to avoid the duplex/speed
negotiation I forced the switch (Cisco Catalyst 2924XL) to 100 full with
the 3com card, when I did this the 3com card didn't talk at all.

There are no errors in /var/log/messages relating to a failure of the
card, only messages are what I would call standard startup messages with
one exception.  There are messages in the log from when I attempted to
use mii-tool.  The messages are:
Dec 18 17:57:21 xyzzy1 kernel: 3c59x: Unknown symbol mii_ethtool_sset
Dec 18 17:57:21 xyzzy1 kernel: 3c59x: Unknown symbol mii_link_ok
Dec 18 17:57:21 xyzzy1 kernel: 3c59x: Unknown symbol mii_nway_restart
Dec 18 17:57:21 xyzzy1 kernel: 3c59x: Unknown symbol generic_mii_ioctl
Dec 18 17:57:21 xyzzy1 kernel: 3c59x: Unknown symbol mii_ethtool_gset

I wouldn't be surprised if its a bad or flaky network card,
unfortunately I don't have a Windoze machine that I can put it in to
test it.

TIA, Jeff