Fedora Core 4 Update: caching-nameserver-7.3-4.FC4

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Dec 21 13:54:40 UTC 2005

Tim:
>> When this, and system-config-bind updated, I found this problem:
>>
>> ll /etc/named.conf*
>> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   32 Dec 20 16:15 /etc/named.conf -> /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf
>> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   32 Oct 27 12:36 /etc/named.conf.rpmsave -> /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf
>>
>> Shouldn't the last one link to "named.conf.rpmsave"?  For a moment I
>> thought I'd lost my customised version of named.conf.  Luckily it was
>> still there, just not where I expected to find it.

Tony Nelson:

> Well, the .rpmsave files are just made by mv'ing the old file out of
> the way so it doesn't get clobbered.  If a "file" is really a soft
> link, it will still point to the same path it used to point to, as it
> hasn't been changed.  What you have with the .rpmsave files is a way
> to compare old and new, and a way to back out of difficulty if you
> need to, not some parallel working installation.

I know what the RPMSAVE copies are for, I'm not sure if you noticed what
I listed.  The /etc/named.conf.rpmsave file is really a link to the
chrooted named.conf file.  It doesn't link to the chrooted
named.conf.rpmsave file.

i.e. I reckon that it should have done things like this (below), not
like how it actually did it (above).

ll /etc/named.conf*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   32 Dec 20 16:15 /etc/named.conf -> /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   32 Oct 27 12:36 /etc/named.conf.rpmsave -> /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf.rpmsave

Notice a slight difference?

If they're going to bother to put symlinks in the /etc/ directory, they
ought to do so in a logical fashion.

I read messages from the public lists.