Yum dependencies [still]

M. Lewis cajun at cajuninc.com
Thu Dec 22 07:33:44 UTC 2005

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 02:12 -0500, M. Lewis wrote:
>>Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>>>I disagree - It's basically livna's fault. They ought to rebuild
>>>kernel-module-nvidia for all kernels currently being used.
>>>
>>>Otherwise, users will not be able to update.

>>>Exactly.
>>>
>>>Ralf
>>
>>I really don't care whose fault it might be.
>

> It actually is quite simple: Current livna's packaging/update strategy
> puts the rpm dependencies into an inconsistent state, i.e. this is a
> packaging bug.
>

>> If you're going to provide
>>an update, then the update should be complete, with any dependencies
>>required.
>
> Yes. Fact is, livna's strategies breaks this rule.
>

>>I'm not glued to a given kernel. I could really care less what kernel I
>>run as long as it is stable.
>

>>My issue is I have probably over 100 updates to other packages that will
>>no update due to these one or two stupid dependencies. It would seem
>>that the packagers of yum, uptodate, or whatever, would allow the other
>>packages whose dependencies *are* resolved to be updated.
>
> Agreed, but again, the dependencies can not be resolved, because livna's
> packaging strategy is broken. So all installers (yum etc.) can do is to
> try to find a reasonable compromise that doesn't destroy your system,
> i.e. not to update it.
>
> Ralf

But what I'm saying is all the other 100 or more packages *could* be
updated. The ones that do *not* have dependencies. Upgrade them and wait
until the others dependencies are resolved.

  IBM: Infinitely Baffling Motives
   02:30:01 up 54 min,  4 users,  load average: 0.93, 0.48, 0.28

  Linux Registered User #241685  http://counter.li.org