Gnome Nautilus Edit>Preference. 1. Default folder view. 2. Searching for files

David Winick dawinic at ncsu.edu
Thu Dec 22 15:44:22 UTC 2005

Clive at Rational <clive <at> rational-communications.com> writes:

> [quote]
> In the Nautilus window, use the "edit" menu to open
> the "preferences",
> go over to the "behaviour" tab, and select the
> unintuitive "always open
> in browser windows" option.
> [unquote]
>
> Excellent.
>
> Exactly what I need.
>
> Any suggestions on search through Nautilus.
>
> Thanks
>
> Clive

A shortcut exists for finding files (actually, and unfortunately, it's
limited to finding a single file) in the toplevel directory.  As soon as
your files list or icons in Nautilus have focus, you can simply begin
typing a file name (but don't use the shift key for capital letters), in
order to select the first match.

If you do not have a problem with the Gnome search tool, other than
accessibility to it from Nautilus, you can add the ability to call it from a
right-click menu in Nautilus.  Install Nautilus Actions, and create an
nautilus menu item for yourself.  I use one with the following parameters:

Label:                            Search...
Tooltip:                          Search in directory using Gnome find tool
Icon:                             gtk-find
Action Path:                      gnome-search-tool
Action Parameters:                --path=%d%f
Appears if selection contains:    Only folders