mail server

azeem ahmad azeem81 at msn.com
Thu Dec 22 18:11:15 UTC 2005

>From: Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org>
>To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>Subject: Re: mail server
>Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 18:21:30 +0100
>
>Am Do, den 22.12.2005 schrieb azeem ahmad um 17:39:
>
> > i m configuring sendmail, i configured it on zoni.com. the problem is
>that
>
>What does that mean? Please be specific at best. From information given
>we don't know whether you are speaking about masquerading as zoni.com or
>whether the hostname is zoni.com or just that you added zoni.com to
>local-host-names. Provide configuration file details as well log file
>entries where it makes sense.

i added zoni.com to my local-host-names

> > it is even sending and recieving mails for/to must at must.com. while i
>think
>
>How is must.com related to zoni.com?
>
>grep -n "must.com" /etc/mail/*

there isnt any output of that command

> > it must recieve/send for must at zoni.com.
>
>"must" is a user on your system?

yes, must is a unix user of that Linux box.

> > in details.
> > i configure my MS outlook for user must at must.com with correct password
>that
>
>The sender From: can be faked easily by anyone.
>
> > is of must at zoni.com. and it is recieving mails for must at zoni.com and
>sending
> > mails to other user using my server, when the mail reaches other user,
>the
> > header tells that mail came from must at must.com
>
>So the header From: is set as you told your MUA (MS Outlook) to do so.
>
> > Azeem
>
>Your problem is what?
>
>echo '$=w' | /usr/lib/sendmail -bt
>
>   => tells you which domains are treated as local domain (Sendmail
>accepts @class{w} for local delivery)

WARNING: local host name (Alpha1) is not qualified; see cf/README: WHO AM I?
ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
Enter <ruleset> <address>
>Alpha1
localhost.localdomain
localhost
zoni.com

>If you want to test for your configuration being an open relay:
>
>http://www.abuse.net/relay.html
>http://www.ordb.org/submit/
>
>Alexander

now i tell u by myself. i configured sendmail with dovecot IMAP, system's
domain in DNS is set to zoni.com, i created a Unix user "must" on my this
server box, i put zoni.com into my local-host-names file. now the user must
can login to my email server through must at zoni.com using MS outlook to send
and recieve mails to other users. then i tried to login using name
must at must.com and got loged in, while my dns or local-host-names doesnt
contain any entry for must.com, this login with must at must.com can send and
recieve mails to/for must at zoni.com.
another thing is that if i try to send mail to must at must.com while being