FC4 forgets permissions on hda

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Dec 23 08:17:07 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 20:41 +0000, mal wrote:

> I have a box with a sata hd and ide dvd
> everything works fine except xine and mplayer
> if I go to /dev and do chmod 777 hda and ln -s hda dvd
> both xine and mplayer work ok  - if I then reboot the box
> when it comes back up /dev/dvd is gone and /dev/hda
> is back at 660 what the heck is going on ?

/dev/'s contents are created dynamically while booting up (and perhaps
when devices are attached.  As such, the contents are lost after
shutdown.  Udev is involved in populating /dev/, you need to modify the
rules it uses to create devices, if you want something different.

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with how to do that.  But now you know that
udev's involved, you might be able to search out documentation that
helps you.

At it's simplest level, you can manually configure device files
in /etc/udev/devices/ that'll be copied to /dev/ when you boot, so you
might simply create a device with the permissions that you require, that
way.  Though the little that I read about that, discourages it.

I read messages from the public lists.