new to Fedora Core 4

Josh Coffman josh_coffman at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 23 16:42:08 UTC 2005

--- Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/23/05, suman <suman at naturesoft.net> wrote:
> >

> > Nathan,
> > For all type of Media file mplayer is the best
> option.
> > Try to look at this link
> >
> > http://home.gagme.com/greg/linux/fc4-tips.php
>

> Juist so  you don't get intimidated by mplayer's
> look, there are many
> frontends for it.
>
> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> >
> > > On 12/22/05, *Nathan Low* <nlow04 at yahoo.com
> <mailto:nlow04 at yahoo.com>>
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > >     To Whom It May Concern:
> > >
> > >     I'm thinking about switching to Fedorea Core
> 4.
> > >

> > > Welcome in
> > >
> > >     If I buy Windows Crossover Office Standard
> 5.0,
> > >

> > > You might want to hold off on that for awhile.
> > >
> > >     should Norton Goback 5.0 and Norton
> Utilities 2.002 be compatible
> > >     with Fedora Core 4?
> > >

> > > No. But that's  ok, you won't be needing those
> things.
> > >
> > >       If I saved photos under Windows XP, can I
> copy and paste it from
> > >     my cd to this operating system?
> > >

> > > Yes you sure can. If you have a Fat32 partion on
> your computer, Fedora
> > > will be able to read them directly.
> > >
> > >       If I can't copy and paste photos from my
> cd that I saved under
> > >     Windows XP and transfer it to this operating
> system, does this
> > >     Fedora Core 4 come with a program that I can
> scan and save photos
> > >     as well as edit?
> > >

> > > Yes it does, maybe too many.
> > >
> > >       Does Fedora Core 4 come with utility
> programs like a disk
> > >     defragmentor
> > >

> > > You don't need that in Fedora (to put it very
> simply, it defrags itself)
> > >
> > >     , a spyware scanner
> > >

> > > You don't need that in Fedora
> > >
> > >     , an anti virus program
> > >

> > > While you don't really need that, Fedora doesn't
> come with one, you
> > > can get one for free.
> > >
> > >     & firewall program
> > >

> > > Yes it does.  To be more precise you get a tool
> to configure the
> > > firewall that is 'embeded' in the OS
> > >
> > >     , a program that's similar to System
> Mechanic
> > >

> > >  You won't be needing that
> > >
> > >     if Fedora Core 4 if I can't install System
> Mechanic, and a media
> > >     player that plays audio and video clips as
> well as playing dvds?
> > >

> > > There are tons of them. But you will have to do
> a little bit of
> > > configuration to get those media players to play
> patented audio
> > > formats, but that takes just a few minutes to
> do.
> > >

> > >     Can this operating system configure my video
> card
> > >

> > > It should auto detect your VGA, please post your
> brand and model for
> > > confirmation
> > >
> > >     , my sbc dsl ! internet service

> [...]

Nathan,

   I converted to Linux this summer and Fedora Core 4
is what I chose after trying many different linux
distrubutions. I have been very happy with is. Most of
you're questions are answered above; and any help you
need can be found here and with google. As long as you
are willing to learn a little here and there, you
shouldn't hesitate to switch ASAP.

   I used to be a pretty dedicated windows used. I am
still not anti-microsoft per se, but I am fed up with
security and patch problems on windows and internet
explorer. Most of what you do, unless you program with
ms technologies, can be done for free on linux. Often
times, it can be done better too.

Congratulations on choosing FC4.

Shin zen ni rei
-j