k3b, kde frustrations - venting.

Amadeus W. M. amadeus84 at cablespeed.com
Fri Dec 23 22:03:39 UTC 2005

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 11:55:10 -0700, Robin Laing wrote:

> I usually am very happy and can easily point out the virtues of Linux
> over Windows.  Come today and I find that I am hit with this k3b, kde
> problem and it dumps me in a major mess.
>
> I need to copy 3 DVD and I cannot get k3b to do it.  It won't eject
> the media.  Crashes each time I try to burn an image and I am in a
> rush as this had to be done before lunch in 10 minutes.
>
> As I try to burn just the files, I get a Error every time.
>
> It gets to Updating RMA
> Then I get growisofs did not exit cleanly.
>
> While copying the CD's, it would give me an error that it cannot eject
> the media after reading the CD.  Of course this is the same if I try
> to copy a DVD.
>
> Now that I vented, have a
>
>     Merry Christmas :)

That's not how you copy a dvd in a hurry. At a command prompt, as root,

dd if=/dev/dvd of=dvdcopy.iso
cdrecord dev=/dev/dvd dvdcopy.iso

No need for mkisofs. If you have 2 dvd drives, you can pipe the output of
dd directly to cdrecord.

This works both for data and for e.g. movies (unencrypted!).

Similarly for cds.

Regardless, can't be done in 10 minutes.