Burning Bootable CD from FC2-i386.iso

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Dec 25 06:06:00 UTC 2005

Bob&Corinne writes:

> I downloaded the iso image from the download site without a proglem.
> I created a bootable floppy (144mb) using format/s and added a config.sys
> and autoexec.bat file
> the config.sys has
>     device=C:\oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
> and the autoexec.bat has
>     C:\mscdex /mscd001
> When I burn the cd and then boot it, I get the message that the oakcdrom
> device loaded and that cdrom drives D and E  designated 0 abd 1 were
> found and I can access them but only contains the following, BOOTCAT.BIN
>               BOOTIMG.BIN
>
> When I type boot I get Bad Command or File Name
> I don't know what to do next.

I am presuming you're trying to boot some kind of a Fedora installer image
off an LS-120 floppy drive.

This is not likely to work.  BIOS emulation of an LS-120 device during boot
is rather iffy.

In any case, you don't start the Fedora installer by booting into DOS first.
There used to be a way to use loadlin to bootstrap the installer, but I
don't think it is still possible (there certainly isn't an autoboot
directory on the DVD image, there may still be one on the first CD image).

The preferred way to start the Fedora installer is by burning either the CD
or the DVD images, then booting them.  The downloaded CD/DVD .iso files are
complete, "raw" images of the CDs or DVDs.  You must select an option in
your CD/DVD burning software to burn an "iso", or a raw image, rather than
treating them as plain files.

The Fedora DVD (and the first CD image) also has a much smaller file
images/boot.iso, which is also an iso image, that must be burned in the same
manner.  It is a much smaller image of the barebones installer only.  If you
have the complete Fedora install tree somewhere else on a local network, you
can boot the smaller boot.iso and do a network install.

The third way is the images/diskboot.img file, which is a raw image of a
small bootable FAT partition.  On some hardware that can boot off a USB
stick you could dump this image on the stick and boot off it.  Again, you
don't just copy it to the stick as a regular file.  There's a DOS utility
floating around, rawrite.exe, or something, that can be used to transfer raw
FAT images into media.

Finally there's also a pair of files in images/pxeboot, which offer a fourth
way to boot the installer; it's somewhat more involved and is mostly useful
when you already have an existing Fedora system that you want to upgrade.

Those are your only options.