xmms plays mp3 files as root but not as other users

redhatdude at bellsouth.net redhatdude at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 24 23:12:48 UTC 2005

Hi,
I installed xmms-mp3 from livna repo. The problem that I'm having now
is that when I launch xmms with root  I can play mp3 files. However,
when I launch it as a regular user then I get an error saying
"Couldn't open audio" and bellow it also says "Please check that:
Your soundcard is configured properly, You have the correct output
selected, No other program is blocking the soundcard"
Trying to configure ALSA as the output plugin doesn't give me the
same options for a user that I get with root. With root I get a Mixer
Card while as a regular user I have nothing and nothing appears in
the drop down menu for this option.
What is going on here?
Thanks,
EJ