Install Fedora linux as dual boot without boot menu

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Dec 26 22:07:41 UTC 2005

Bob&Corinne writes:

> I am about to install Fedora Linux for the first time. I am making a dual
> boot system with win98SE. I do not want a boot menu. Can I just boot from
> my recovery disk or have lilo make a boot floppy?

FC4 no longer includes LILO (don't recall if it was pulled in FC3 or FC4).

Theoretically you could omit installing grub, and boot off a rescue CD and
mount your partitions.  But that's less optimum -- you won't end up booting
a number of processes that normally run at startup - cron, et al, which may
result in strange, mysterious malfunctions from time to time.

Until you have more experience with these sort of things, you are better off
booting the system normally.