issues with upgrading to firefox-1.5 on FC4?

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 14:17:52 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 09:01 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> i'd like to try out some of the features of firefox-1.5, but trying to update
> to that version on my (fully-updated FC4) system out of the FC4 devel repo
> shows a sizable number of other packages that need to be updated (not
> that big of a surprise), and finally fails with a few missing dependencies
> (allegedly, xorg-x11-devel, XFree86-devel and others).

Devel repo?
You do understand that your FC4 machine will become a development
machine (or -rawhide) if you start using the -devel repo, right?

> is it safe to try to update to firefox-1.5 on an FC4 system and, if so, what's
> the proper incantation?  do i need any of the other repos enabled as well?
> i'd like to keep this as simple as possible.

I download the firefox SRPM, modified the firefox.spec and
firefox-mozconfig file.
In SPECS/firefox.spec file:
* Remove all references to cairo and pango.
* Change nss version to 1.7.10
* Change nss to mozilla-nss
* Change nspr version to 1.7.10
* Change nspr to mozilla-nspr.