Disk defragmenter in Linux

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Dec 28 00:02:04 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-12-24 at 03:41, Tim wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 2005-12-23 at 14:18 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
>>
>>>But writing to the files *during installation* might result in
>>>fragmentation.
>>
>>Initial installation, no.  Installations of applications after a system
>>has been used for some time, perhaps.
>

> This is fedora we are talking about.  If you stay up to date you've
> replaced almost everything several times and the files are likely
> scattered all over the disk.

This assertion really needs to be tested with a typical setup of two
partitions:
/
/boot

Just apply all of the updates in the order they were released, then
measure the actual fragmentation.

You could also test disk performance at various points, maybe using
Bonnie, to see what the changes are.

--

Cheers
John