mount nfs - Operation not permitted

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Wed Dec 28 17:29:39 UTC 2005

I'm sure this has been asked and answered hundreds of times, but I've been
working on it for 2 days now, and can't resolve the issue.
I'm trying to mount an nfs filesystem that lives on FC4 from my Macintosh
across the home lan (machines are only 15' apart).  ;-)
I can successfully mount nfs shares that live on the FreeBSD machine from
the Mac, and can successfully ssh to the FC4 box from the Mac.

On FC4:
[root at shemp ~]# cat /etc/exports
/disc2 moe(rw,sync) larry(ro,sync)
/home  moe(rw) larry(ro)
[root at shemp ~]# cat /etc/hosts.allow
#
# hosts.allow   This file describes the names of the hosts which are
#               allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
#               by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
#
ALL: ALL
[root at shemp ~]# cat /etc/hosts.deny
#
# hosts.deny    This file describes the names of the hosts which are
#               *not* allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
#               by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
#
# The portmap line is redundant, but it is left to remind you that
# the new secure portmap uses hosts.deny and hosts.allow.  In particular
# you should know that NFS uses portmap!

[root at shemp ~]# cat /proc/fs/nfs/exports
# Version 1.1
# Path Client(Flags) # IPs
/home   larry(ro,root_squash,sync,wdelay)
/disc2  larry(ro,root_squash,sync,wdelay)
[root at shemp ~]# cat /var/lib/nfs/xtab
[root at shemp ~]# exportfs -ra
exportfs: /etc/exports [2]: No 'sync' or 'async' option specified for export
"moe:/home".
  Assuming default behaviour ('sync').
  NOTE: this default has changed from previous versions

On the Mac:
[charles at larry:~]$ mount -t nfs shemp:/disc2 ~/mnt
mount_nfs: /Users/charles/mnt: Operation not permitted
[charles at larry:~]$ mount -t nfs shemp:/home ~/mnt
mount_nfs: /Users/charles/mnt: Operation not permitted

properties for ~/mnt on the Mac:
0 drwxr-xr-x    3 charles  charles    102 Nov 20 17:11 mnt/

My uid/gid are the same on both client and server...my username is the same
on both machines, password is different.

Anybody have a clue?  I've read and read and Google'd and browsed till I'm
blue in the face.
Could this be a problem with (what is it...) "non-privileged ports"?

--
Thanks,
Charles