Max usable disk space

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Dec 28 23:56:40 UTC 2005

Mark Haney wrote:
> Jason Ragsdale wrote:
>
>> I wonder if that would affect me as i am planning on doing 1 raid
>> device at first, (the 4 300GB's) and making a LVM out of it. Then
>> adding another device later with the 4 500's and adding in the new
>> LVM  drives into the current group. So i would have >2tb but it would
>> be  spread across 2 raid devices and 8 disks.
>> -jason
>

> The array I'm building is 7.5TB across 15 500GB SATA2 drives.  In
> communication with the vendor over this, I found out that little tidbit
> about fdisk.  So, I'm going to have to do the same thing with LVM
> groups.  I understand there might be a performance hit on this, but I
> won't know until I get it built and tested.  Does anyone know the deal
> with FDISK?  Are there plans to fix that little problem?  I mean pretty
> soon 2TB is gonna be a drop in the bucket for most filesystems, and
> considering ext3 handles 64TB or more, this seems a horrible limitation.

You reall need to read up on parted, it has some very nice features
(though I find it a little clumsy at the commandline). I copied an 80 Gm
HDD to a file and set to, manipulating the partitions in parted. It
failed when I tried to move an extended partition, but it's come a long
way since last I looked. Andrew is to be commended.

I think there are a couple of GUI wrappers for it too.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait