Missing shared libraries: libpcre.so.0 and libpam.so.0

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Dec 29 01:32:22 UTC 2005

John Summerfied wrote:

> Andrew B. Young wrote:
>
>> Yesterday I found my FC4 system complaining about misssing
>> libpcre.so.0 and libpam.so.0.  The system no longer functions; I can
>> only boot up in single user mode.
>>

>> 3) A long time ago someone showed me a command(s) that checked all
>> RPMs' files against the present installation.  Does anybody know of
>> this to see if other files have gone missing?
>

> rpm -Va

As root try the commands below: -   (since you can only boot single, no
problem)

rpm -qaV |grep missing |sort >/tmp/rpm-files-missing.txt ; less
/tmp/rpm-files-missing.txt

or:

 locate libpcre.so.0
/lib/libpcre.so.0
/lib/libpcre.so.0.0.1
[ ~]$ rpm -q --whatprovides /lib/libpcre.so.0
pcre-6.3-1.1
[ ~]$ locate libpam.so.0
/lib/libpam.so.0
/lib/libpam.so.0.81.1
[ ~]$ rpm -q --whatprovides /lib/libpam.so.0
pam-0.99.2.1-2

Jim

		-- Thomas Edison