Why questions don't get answered, or "No, I've already RTFM, tell me the answer!"

David G. Miller (aka DaveAtFraud) dave at davenjudy.org
Thu Dec 29 16:41:25 UTC 2005

craigwhite at azapple.com wrote:

> ----
> pardon the html...trying to keep long line together...
>
> stick this in a google search
>
> "rmdir when directory is not empty"
> site:https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/
>
> Craig

Thanks Craig.   I didn't know that Google trick.

My $.02 on the main topic of this thread.  Requests for assistance should:

1) Have a clear concise statement of the problem as the subject.

2) Should start off with a re-statement of what the problem is that
expands on the subject.

3) If necessary, include the steps the poster has already taken or other
pertinent information.

This tends to allow verbose posts to get answered since people who have
some idea of the solution can understand the problem without having to
wade through a lot of material.  My time is limited (and I'm guessing so
is everybody else) so I like to be able to *quickly* determine whether I
can help with a particular problem or not.

It would be nice if the Fedora web site were to have an easy to find
"getting help" section that, besides pointing to this list, also
included some hints such as the above for searching and maybe even some
basic stuff like using "man -k" and other tools such as grep to RTFM
successfully.

Cheers,
Dave