An mp3 ripping yarn

Dan Hensley dan at dshensley.com
Thu Dec 29 21:04:55 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 19:39 +0000, David Fletcher wrote:
> I've given my son an mp3 player for Christmas and of course I would like him
> to be able to rip his CDs to mp3 files using Sound Juicer on his computer not
> mine.

[snip]

> <MP3NOTES>
> 1) Put the following into /etc/yum.repos.d/Freshrpms.repo (might need to
> change the first line to reflect the FC issue number:-
>
> 2) Import the GPG key:-
>
> 3) Install the plugins:-
>
> yum install gstreamer-plugins-extra-audio
>
> Now it should work!

You're missing a fourth step, found in the Sound Juicer documentation.
I went through this yesterday because I got an mp3 player for Christmas.

>From the docs:

If you need to store tracks in the MP3 format (for example, because your
portable music player only supports MP3 and not Ogg Vorbis), you will
need to create a new profile. To do this, run
gnome-audio-profiles-properties, press New and name it MP3. Then press
Edit and set GStreamer Pipeline to
audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame name=enc, the File
Extenstion to mp3, and check Active. Then start Sound Juicer and select
the MP3 format.

This profile uses the LAME MP3 encoder, so you will need to have the
GStreamer LAME plugin installed.

Dan