Re: Backing up data to span multiple CDs K3B 0.11.23 cd-record 1.2? Fedora 4 kernel 2.6.12 – reposted from September

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Dec 30 01:42:55 UTC 2005

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Clive at Rational wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>   Is it possible to use K3B to back up data that is
>> over 700MB in size so that it spans multiple backup
>> CDs? I remember zip used to be able to span backups
>> across multiple floppy disks.
>

> Umm, PKZIP can do that. If that's what you really
> want, then you can try running DOSBOX or DOSEMU.
>
> Another possibility is zip + zipsplit.
>
> Mike

Come to think of it, tar an other archive utilities can do it: you need
to specify the size of the "tape volume" and maybe use a script to do
stuff with the files it creates it.

It doesn't (or didn't when I looked years ago) hand compressed output
well as the size you provide relates to input sizes.

afio (not a standard component) is better as it can create compresses
archives sized on the output size.

--

Cheers
John